Tuesday 12 April 2011

Biped in the hand

In my animation I use a clip of showing some cards and a hand bending them, I have created this look by using a Biped in just the hand, below i'll explain some of the processes I went through to create the hand object and talk about using the Biped.
Firstly I got a picture of a hand and put in onto a plane using the materials function, this would be a guideline to creating the hand.
To create the hand object I simply created a box with a set amount of segments and converted it into an editable poly, I then removed the parts of the box that I didnt need, once these parts were removed I had my hands palm. Using the picture of the hand I aligned my palm to the palm within the picture, and started to work on the first finger.

To create the fingers from the box I selected the polygons I needed and using the extrude tool I pulled out the first segment of the finger, this created the bottom of the first finger, then from this part I extruded again to create the middle "stub" of the finger and finally extruded once more to create the tip of the finger. Once I had completed this process I repeated it for all of the other fingers and the thumb, I had to rotate the fingers and thumbs a little bit so they were in the correct place and looked like actual fingers and a thumb. To give the hand a real look I selected the edges and used the ring and loop tools to select the others in the section, once I had done that I pulled the fingers out to give them a round/bent look, this helped when appling the Meshsmooth modifier.

To have the ability to bend the fingers I created a Biped and attached the hand of the biped to the hand I had created, this is done by using the attach to node ability in the biped's properties in the modifier panel. After attaching the biped to the hand you then have to attach the Physique modifier to the skin and you will have the ability to move the hand and fingers, although you may find that the skin of the hand is left behind at certain points, to fix this you need to simply click the bones on the biped and change the Radial Scale within the envelope properties under the physique modifier, an example of this being done is shown below.








Once everything has been correctly aligned using Radial Scale then you can move you should freeze the hand and then click on the section of the biped you want to move or affect.


In the above picture I have bent the links in the fingers around the cards I created before then imported into this scene, to bend the fingers I simply selected the end of the fingers and arranged them into the place I wanted, I then bent parts of the finger to look as if they are holding the cards.











No comments:

Post a Comment